We are working on initiatives that favour conservation and efficiency in order to reduce our environmental impact each year.

The majority of Urbaser’s energy consumption is based on the electricity needed for water and waste treatment, and the fossil fuels used by its fleet of vehicles.

The various energy capture processes (biogas, waste recovery, and biomass) let Urbaser produce electric energy during its processes so that it can be consumed later. As a result, in 2017, 18% of this electric energy produced was consumed by the company itself, and the remaining 82% was exported.

Energy efficiency

Waste handled by Urbaser is used for the following types of energy:

  • Biogas: produced naturally at dumping sites through controlled processes of biomethanisation or anaerobic digestion of the organic material found in waste.
  • Rejected material energy recovery: an incineration furnace treatment that allows unrecyclable materials present in rejected material to be recovered for energy.
  • Biomass: biomass waste that is used thermally for energy.

Urbaser in figures

  • The first company in the sector to implement the Energy Management System.
  • 788.97 GWh renewable electric energy produced annually.
  • 1.5 GWh annual energy consumption reduction with energy efficiency measures.
  • 1,316,166 TCO2 saved per year on waste treatment using recovered materials and the production of renewable energy.

Water management is a major challenge we currently face because this resource is becoming increasingly scarce. We are tackling major issues that require solutions, like increasing urban populations and global warming.

In this sense, Urbaser requires compliance with a series of guidelines on responsible, conscientious consumption that range from turning off faucets and hydrants when not being used, to the use of flow restrictor devices or rainwater collection systems.

0

m3

Reused water annually

The Antivolabossa solution was identified by a United Nations Programme study for the Environment as one of the 25 most innovative and inspiring solutions for fighting plastic marine garbage in the Mediterranean region.

Outline and concept design by Salvador Fábregas

Urbaser guarantees excellence in the management and treatment of the waste its activities produce. In 2017, the Group’s activities produced 18,225 tonnes of hazardous waste, and 10,354 tonnes of non-hazardous waste. Of the hazardous waste produced, 83% was able to be recovered.

We carry out strict leak controls, with special attention paid to monitoring leachate from the waste managed.

The sustainable production and consumption goal to do more and better things with fewer resources

Responsible production and consumption

Sustainable development goal number 12 set by the UN guarantees responsible production and consumption. This involves doing more and better things with fewer resources. It is about creating net guarantees for economic activities through a reduction in the use of resources.

Through its circular economy and resource reutilisation strategy, Urbaser is committed to reducing its consumption and the final garbage of handled waste, thanks in part to the creation of new consumable materials that were considered waste until recently.

In 2017, the Group produced 1,197 Gigawatt hours (GWh) of electricity from waste, avoiding 1.4 million tonnes of CO2 by recovering materials and producing renewable energy from waste.

Urbaser